About Fred Gregory
Dr Fred Gregory was an outstanding surgeon who worked as Medical Superintendent of Buller Hospital from 1951 – 1964. He graduated from Edinburgh Medical School in 1932 and was a surgeon at Friarage Hospital, Yorkshire, prior to coming to Westport.
In spite of his heavy work load in administration and surgery, Dr Gregory took a big part in district affairs. As a member of Westport Rotary Club, he was involved in the building of the Scout Lodge at Island Creek, upgrading of the Westport War Memorial Community Centre and numerous other projects for the benefit of the area.
The naming of the screen room after Dr Gregory is very poignant as he is best remembered as the prime initiator of the development of the Westport Community Hall project, which has now been remodelled into the NBS Theatre. Dr Gregory, buoyed by the local nurses wanted the community to have a place to go for social and cultural events, sporting fixtures, etc.
Without the driving force of Dr Gregory initiating this project and the many committee members who tirelessly worked behind the scenes, Westport is unlikely to have the facility we have today.